Hey  Leigh -- where are the good old day's when research was about the
pursuit of new knowledge  <smile>.

You're right -- it will be difficult to be "first to market" using an
open research approach. I'm afraid I don't have any good ideas on how we
can tackle this challenge --- its a tough one. I hope the list has some
thoughts on moving this forward.

Anyway ... one step at a time. At least with learning materials we don't
necessarily have to deal with the first to market syndrome.

Let's keep thinking about this ... there is a very strong connection
between research and teaching. It's been my experience that many of the
top researchers are excellent teachers -- by virtue of their enquiring a
critical minds that can motivate and engage learners with a passion for
discovery.

Maybe the place to start is with the research icons who are nearing
retirement and want to leave a legacy?