Nellie,

I see this discussion ability as a very important issue. I too will
have middle school students needing this feature, and the idea of
creating a sub-page as Jim suggests is workable but flawed and not
being true to having discussions behind pages (an important
pedagogical aspect in my mind). Your speaking up is good for it shows
that experienced WikiEducators are requesting the feature. And it's
not a bunch of technical zealots requesting features for LQT that will
make it a tool that will encourage (not interfere with) community
discussion. To provide an update (and schedule) to this request I may
be able to provide some insight;
1) There is an outstanding request to turn off LQT in the WE technical
forum. Activity on this request seems to be deferred until we have a
new hosting situation. I don't see the hosting as an adequate argument
for not turning it off, but it is what we have to work with.
2) WE is currently kicking off a hosting migration effort;
http://www.wikieducator.org/WikiEducator/Hosting/Migration If all goes
well the new hosting will be live early in 2009.
3) My biggest concern regarding LQT and review of the coming fixes /
features is I have requested documentation or specifications regarding
these new features and have heard nothing in return. So we can't even
review or provide input into LQT. Were kind of in the dark about it.
Disappointing given we are probably the most active beta tester of
LQT. In my mind it shows immaturity to the LQT development lifecycle,
a big risk to WE.
4) Once we have a new hosting environment there is nothing holding us
back from exploring options with LQT or other discussion approaches
for that matter. Given the increased interest in storytelling within
learning (http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ERM0865.pdf) I
believe we need to look at LQT being a tool, not THE tool for WE
discussion.
5) Hopefully, very soon after the hosting migration we can explore
what has become known as the multi-tab approach to discussion where a
page has both a threaded discussion and a traditional wiki talk page.
This sould fix the problem about having adequate email notification to
encourage student lead discussion.

Let me know if this helps at all...

Sincerely,

Peter