Perhaps we should highlight a bit more the engaging WikiNeighbour
program. I can attest it works!
We all love socializing, let's be more active WikiNeighbours, offering
our experiences, tips, links to active projects (I agree with Anil).
Making newcomers feel part of the community as soon as they start
dealing with the wiki-markup (IMHO a critical point). We already know
how hard could be crossing through the first stages of learning the
codes..

Every day I try to keep in mind WikiNeighbours:

    * have pride in, and ownership of their neighbourhood.
    * roam and troll the neighbourhood looking for new neighbours, or
something interesting or out of the ordinary.
    * take initiative to introduce themselves to their new neighbours.
    * give new neigbours the time and space to discover themselves in
their new community.
    * see their new neighbours as part of their community.
    * orient new and other neighbours to the neighbourhood, and the
latest news and events.
    * extend invitations to / visit with each other
    * gather to celebrate key milestones and important events.
    * support each other, and look for common ground with other
neighbours, causes and communities - in the same city, region, state /
province or other countries.
    * know from experience that moving house and home, leaving old
friends behind can be a stressful experience.
    * realize that we are living in a cosmopolitan neighbourhood and
respect the rich diversity and culture of our growing community;
and...
    * most of all, they enjoy their neighbourhood, and have fun
building community together

Cheers

Gladys
(I promise to improve my weird english :-)