Hi Gene,

Certification and review of OER is a complex issue. That said, no more
complex in OER than for closed-resources ;-)

A couple of thoughts:

1) Merlot is not primarily a hosting repository of materials -- the
vast majority of resources accessed through Merlot are hosted on
external sites. So for example you  could find the OER Handbook for
Educators on Merlot (http://www.merlot.org/merlot/viewMaterial.htm?
id=335365) which is hosted on WikiEducator.

2) Frankly -- Merlot's intellectual property policy is confusing. The
site says that resources are licensed under "Creative Commons
Licensing conditions" -- but when you read the detail (http://
taste.merlot.org/acceptableuserpolicy.html) there are a raft of
different conditions for different categories of users. In the case of
WikiEducator -- we have a values-based position on licensing. We only
use licenses which meet the free cultural works definition. In
Creative Commons terms that means CC0, CC-BY or CC-BY-SA. Of course
materials dedicated to the public domain are welcomed.

3) Merlot is not the only act in town in so far as being an access
point for open access materials. The OER Commons (http://
www.oercommons.org/) also provide search, find and rating services.
Creative Commons have also been working on an interesting project
called DiscoverEd (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/DiscoverEd).  An
innovative group called Folksemantic (http://www.folksemantic.com/)
are also working on exciting new technologies.  The issue is, that in
the case of OER -- it doesn't matter where the resource are hosted.
>From the OER Foundation's perspective we encourage all OER developers
to use open content licenses and free file formats as the building
blocks for a sustainable OER ecosystem.

4) In my personal view -- certification and credentialing is not the
function of OER per se -- that's what education institutions should be
doing. Education institutions are free to choose the learning
materials they prescribe or recommend for their students (both closed
and open materials.) So for example, WikiEducator hosts a number of
course materials where students can obtain certifications from the
institutions that teach these OER courses.  I also look forward to
seeing Joyce's thoughts on recognition of prior learning where
institutions can assess learning experience gained from free and open
OER courses hosted on WikiEducator and other open projects like P2PU,
Wikiversity etc.

5) WE need to get better at providing users the opportunity to rate
and rank materials developed and hosted in WE. We are exploring
alternatives that will scale and work well in the formal education
sector.

Above all -- I think the most important value for WE to endorse and
promote is the freedom to create. That means giving all educators in
the world the permission to create and reuse learning materials for
their purpose. While the formal sector rightly places strong emphasis
on peer review, credentials etc -- we must be wary of using this as an
excuse to restrict permissions and the freedoms of individuals to
create their own teaching materials. In the same breath, we should
also be creative in finding effective ways for the community to rate
quality without imposing restrictions on the creation process.

WE're making good progress - one step at a time. With your help and
support - we're going to get better :-)