Hi Simon,

As you know, there are also issues with using Google services given the
non-free nature of the code engine.

I think we need to accept that there are a range of different technologies
people may choose to use to support OER communities of practice and that we
should respect those choices. While the elgg platform hosted by UNESCO may
not be compare with the functionality of the Google engine, speaking on
behalf of the OER Foundation, I prefer to host the OER university
discussions on an open source platform combined with open content licensing.
If for whatever reason, UNESCO is unable to continue the service we will be
able to replicate the open source software engine and reuse the data.

OER is digital data that want's to be free and it shouldn't matter where it
is hosted or mirrored. To be fair, the OER Foundation could easily have
hosted the OER university discussions on any of the open source discussion
technologies administered by Foundation. However, given the significance of
the OERu we prefer to collaborate in building OER ecosystems and UNESCO's
global commitment to education for all provides a welcome home to hosting
discussions for building the OER university.