Indeed -  This lawsuit might be a good argument around which to centre
discussions to attract those that still think that everything is fine and
'it worked for me' towards contributing to OERs.

Cheers
Fabiana

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Wayne Mackintosh <
mackintosh.wa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Agreed -- ludicrous that we in the the academy as custodians and creators
> of knowledge are allowing academic publishers to dictate the curriculum our
> learners can access. How did we let this happen? How long will we allow this
> to continue?
>
> I hope more publishers will follow suite which will give the impetus for us
> to return to the core values of sharing knowledge.
>
> We have alternatives. Universities should follow the example of Athabasca
> University press which is 100% open access.
>
> The OER university <http://wikieducator.org/OERu> network is collaborating
> with forward looking education institutions in the formal sector to put an
> end to this foolishness.
>
> Wayne
>

> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 5:47 AM, Steve Foerster <st...@hiresteve.com>wrote:
>
>> Bad news of the day:
>>

>> http://blogs.library.duke.edu/scholcomm/2011/05/13/a-nightmare-scenario-for-higher-education/
>>
>> It's past time for universities to devote more of their considerable
>> resources toward developing OERs to prevent this sort of foolishness.
>> Commercial publishers need universities, not the other way around!
>>
>> -=Steve=-
>>
>> --
>> Stephen H. Foerster
>> http://hiresteve.com
>> http://wikieducator.org/steve
>>
>> --

> Wayne Mackintosh <http://wikieducator.org/User:Mackiwg>, Ph.D.
> Director OER Foundation <http://www.oerfoundation.org>
> Director, International Centre for Open Education,
> Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
> Founder and elected Community Council Member,
> WikiEducator<http://www.wikieducator.org>
> Mobile +64 21 2436 380
> Skype: WGMNZ1
> Twitter <http://twitter.com/#%21/Mackiwg> |
> identi.ca<http://identi.ca/waynemackintosh>
>

>  --

M Fabiana Kubke

Department of Anatomy | University of Auckland | New Zealand
(+64) 9 373-7599 Ext 86002 | (+64)9 923 6002 (direct) | Mobile: (+64) 210
437 121

Skype: superfabs | http://twitter.com/Kubke | http://identi.ca/kubke |
http://buildingblogsofscience.wordpress.com |
http://sciblogs.co.nz/building-blogs-of-science |