Hi Eric
I write this as a Canadian ( British Columbian) High School Teacher, and I
have recently completed a graduate degree at the University of Victoria.
 Assessment generally, and topics such as formative and summative, are
major themes of inquiry and practice here.   I believe, and this is both
informal and west coast based, that individual educators in the US are very
familiar with, and attempt to use  formative assessment techniques, but
there is huge pressure, for learners to do well on tests which are
summative in nature, hangovers from "No Child Left Behind" policies.

In many areas, it seems, test results are, or have been tied to funding. It
is hard to get more summative and less formative than that!