Living in New Zealand, due to our geography and international time zones we
are very fortunate to see the future which has already happened for many
parts of the world. However, in the case of the UNESCO World OER Congress,
we now have the opportunity of getting back to the future of OER!

It was a memorable evening for me (New Zealand time) watching the live
stream of the World OER Congress  and waking up again at 3am to watch the OER
university team present the closing
plenary<http://wikieducator.org/OERu_share_solutions_for_Education_for_All_at_UNESCO_World_OER_Congress>
at
the congress from home.

Belated news, but definitely worth repeating.

*Following a global consultation process,  The 2012 PARIS OER
DECLARATION<http://www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/CI/CI/pdf/Events/Paris%20OER%20Declaration_01.pdf>
has
been approved by the UNESCO World OER congress.  The next step in the
process is to move through the formal adoption procedures by UNESCO member
states.  *

Here is the link (save it as this is a significant milestone for OER.):

http://www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/CI/CI/pdf/Events/Paris%20OER%20Declaration_01.pdf

On behalf of the millions of learners which the adoption of this
declaration by governments will ultimately serve -- our thanks and
commendation to everyone who turned the vision of the Paris OER Declaration
into reality.

The OER Foundation, WikiEducator community and the OERu anchor partners are
well positioned to assist countries and education institutions around the
world with the implementation of the principles contained in the
declaration. Examples are provided below.

Viva OER, Viva!

Wayne

*Examples of how the OER Foundation family will support the 2012 Paris OER
Declaration*

*a. Foster awareness and use of OER.*
*
*
Our OER Foundation family is committed to assisting educators and education
institutions with the mainstream adoption of OER at all levels and all
educational sectors. Its our core mission.

*b. Facilitate enabling environments for use of Information and
Communications Technologies (ICT).*
*
*
The technical infrastructure of the OER Foundation is based entirely on
free and open source software and therefore easy to replicate in
facilitating enabling environments for anyone who prefers co-operative
strategies for OER implementation.

Through WikiEducator we are increasing the range of OER support resources
to improve media and information literacy for all educators worldwide.

Jim Taylor, one of the thought-leaders in our OER university community,
highlights that "*The OERu will place students at the centre of the
educational process in such a way that they will develop learning and
digital literacies as a solid foundation for meaningful participation
across international boundaries in a networked world" *(see media
release<http://wikieducator.org/OERu_share_solutions_for_Education_for_All_at_UNESCO_World_OER_Congress>
.)

*c. Reinforce the development of strategies and policies on OER*
*
*
All policy documents developed through OER Foundation initiatives are
developed transparently and published under open licenses in editable file
formats. These policies are available for reuse and modification by anyone
who wishes to refine and implement their own open policies.

*d. Promote the understanding and use of open licensing frameworks.*

This is a feature activity of the OER Foundation. Our Open Content
Licensing for
Educators<http://wikieducator.org/Open_content_licensing_for_educators/Home>
online
workshops have already provided free training opportunities in open
licensing for approximately 2000 educators from over 90 different
countries. With acknowledgement of initial funding support from the UNESCO
Office for the Pacific States to develop these OER course materials, the
delivery model has been designed to scale for thousands of learners. We
will continue to offer these free training opportunities.

*f. Support capacity building for the sustainable development of quality
learning materials*

The OER Foundation hosts the Learning4Content initiative which is the
world's largest attempt to build wiki skills for collaborative development
of OER. We have offered free training opportunities to over 5000 educators
from over 150 countries. We acknowledge initial funding support from the
William and Flora Hewlett foundation, the Commonwealth of Learning and New
Zealand Ministry of Education in supporting these efforts.

The newly founded WikiEducator Open Learning Academy will continue this
groundbreaking work as a community volunteer initiative.

The OERu network and the Commonwealth of Learning Chair in OER at Otago
Polytechnic is aiming to integrate existing training courses and to develop
new training courses in OER which will provide opportunities for formal
academic credit towards recognised credentials.

f. Foster strategic alliances for OER

The OER university network <http://wikieducator.org/OERu> of anchor
partners is a prime example of an international strategic alliance for OER.
This is the first international innovation partnership that will be able to
accredit OER learning in Africa, Asia, North America and Oceania.

*g. Encourage research on OER*
*
*
The OER Foundation community and its flagship projects provide an excellent
international platform for research in OER. All research data produced by
the OER Foundation projects are released under open licenses to support
reuse and ongoing research for all in the academic who are interested.

--
Wayne Mackintosh <http://wikieducator.org/User:Mackiwg>, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation <http://www.oerfoundation.org>