Carl Beckhorn wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 07:07:37PM -0500, wjhon...@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Our policy was fashioned in a deliberate way to prevent the use of primary
>> sources where there is no secondary source mention.
>> That was deliberate.
>>

> We have always permitted the use of academic research articles published
> in peer-reviewed journals. These are crucial both for the results they
> contain and for their link to the historical record. The difficulty is
> that these sources have to be considered "secondary sources" in order to
> mesh our best practices with the literal wording of NOR. But many people
> like to consider them "primary sources".
>
> The idea that these sources should be avoided entirely would simply be
> silly. The idea that it's better to avoid primary sources entirely is more
> applicable when "primary source" means "blog post".

I think it's perfectly applicable to journal articles as well. I
personally, at least, think it's usually inappropriate to directly cite
a new-research result to the journal article, since evaluating journal
articles, and placing them in proper historical and disciplinary context
is itself a quite difficult bit of original research. That's what survey
articles, textbooks, summary mentions in other papers, works like
Mathematical Reviews, and so on are for---much better to cite those.

To take an even more direct example, in the medical field, summarizing
the results of all the studies that have been done on a particular
subject is a "meta-analysis", and a publishable, first-class research
project in itself. If no prominent meta-analysis in an area exists, it
would be original research for Wikipedia to attempt to directly crawl
through the primary literature and write our own, beyond something
simple and non-committal like "studies have found both positive [1,2]
and negative [3,4] results".

An exception might be important but entirely uncontroversial results,
which are not likely to ever get a whole lot of critical analysis. So if
some mathematical theorem is proven, I don't have a problem with citing
the paper that proves it. But if, say, an antidepressant was "shown to
be no better than placebo"---now we're in a controversial, murky area,
where anyone can cherry-pick primary sources to make an argument for all
possible conclusions.

-Mark