On Jan 21, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Andrew Gray wrote:

> 2009/1/21 Alvaro García <alva...@gmail.com>:
>> Excuse me, a short question: With 'lede' you mean 'lead', right?
>
> It's the same word; "lede" is a variant used to refer specifically to
> the leading part of an article, and it seems to have slipped into
> fairly common use on enwp. It's originally a journalism term, and
> there's an explanation here -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_style#cite_note-1
>
> "Lede (pronounced /ˈliːd/) is a traditional spelling, from the
> archaic
> English, used to avoid confusion with the printing press type formerly
> made from lead or the typographical term "leading"."

The NY Times has a "Lede" column. Their note on the name is as follows:

In the news business, the opening sentences of a story are referred to
as its "lede" -- spelled that way, journalism lore has it, to avoid
confusion with the lead typesetting that once dominated newspaper
printing presses. Every sentence in a news story, though, has the
potential to spiral off in new directions, and that's where The Lede's
mission begins.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/

..
.