on 2/26/09 8:48 AM, Carcharoth at carcharot...@googlemail.com wrote:

> If it has a shorter lifespan, might need more effort to successfully
> inoculate. But you are right, the effects of being polite and civil do
> spread. But there will always be some level of incivility. How do you
> know when the levels are acceptable once again? When more articles are
> being written? My theory is that the articles still get written, just
> slower, and some article writers are lost for good (or never arrive).

Carcharoth, I believe the problem we as a community are having with the
issue of civility is finding a definition of it that everyone can agree
upon. And, since the very concept of civility is so highly subjective, that
agreeing upon a firm definition is impossible. That's what I meant when I
said before. "I know it when I see it."

If I happen upon a discussion that I'm not directly involved in and feel one
or more of the participants are being uncivil, I will interject a comment
about it. The culture of a community is what the majority of its members
decide it will be.

Speaking only of this medium here, when I am directly involved in a
discussion and encounter what I feel is an uncivil response to something I
have said (whether it be on a mailing list or talk page) I simply ignore it
and stay focused on the subject being discussed. If the entire post consists
only of an uncivil remark, and doesn't even deal with the issue being
discussed, I don't respond at all. This works for me.

Marc