I have sometimes used quote marks to quote myself hypothetically
replying to someone when trying to illustrate a point, or when
paraphrasing someone. However, this can get confusing if people think
you are quoting what someone actually said.

i.e. Will, when you said "using expressions tongue-in-cheek or with
sarcasm" I thought of replying "well, there are other ways of saying
that", but I decided not to.

In the above bit, it looks like I've quoted Will and myself saying
things, but in fact I've paraphrased Will (from memory, for example)
and got the quote wrong, and I never actually said what I've used
quote marks for for my hypothetical comment.

A better way to write the above would be:

i.e. Will, when you said "using expressions tongue-in-cheek or with
sarcasm" (paraphrasing from memory) I thought of replying "well, there
are other ways of saying that" (unstated comment), but I decided not
to.

Unfortunately, if you remove the quote marks, it becomes difficult to
see where the different levels of narration begin and end (in that
sentence I am switching between narrative voices, from the main
author-reader one to a paraphrasing voice to one voicing my unspoken
thoughts.

Some I use single quote marks to make it clear it is something
separate, but not a direct quote:

i.e. Will, when you said 'using expressions tongue-in-cheek or with
sarcasm' (paraphrasing from memory) I thought of replying 'well, there
are other ways of saying that' (unstated comment), but I decided not
to.

But as long as the context makes clear what is happening, it should be OK.

In a similar way, some really strange literature uses this as a device
to messes with readers' minds, leaving them confused as to who is
speaking, and when, to whom.

Carcharoth