2009/3/31 Ian Woollard <ian.wooll...@gmail.com>:
> On 31/03/2009, doc <doc.wikipe...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> The Library of Alexandria was with us for between 350 and a thousand
>> years (depending on which history book you read), Wikipedia has been
>> with us for a total of 8.

> Yes, and it's been ranked about 8 on the entire freaking internet for
> a lot of that time! Things that happen relatively early on in the
> course of something (like the internet) tend to get 'frozen in' and
> have much longer life than you would expect they could have, google
> for example is not going away any time soon.

Note that Google came from nowhere, by word of mouth, to become top
search engine because of being much better than the other
heavily-promoted search engines. Much like Wikipedia's rise to fame.

(In image search, Google and all other search engines still suck.
Here's to tagging coming to Commons.)

> It would take something really spectacular to eclipse it; machine
> summarisation might do it, but I suspect even the machines will be
> thumbing the wikipedia over to find out what's important and for a
> place to start their research ;-)

Data on Wikipedia will tend to become more machine-readable. Templates
are mostly a good idea.

- d.