From: David Goodman <dgoodma...@gmail.com>
To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Sent: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 5:56 pm
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Saying no to new unreferenced BLPs

doc,

I think you underestimate the number of good editors who do not want
to be admins but would gladly take this on.  Considering what an admin
does, I can understand not wanting the distinction, but having a real
role in making sure we have an acceptable content is another thing
entirely.  But you are certainly right that it won;'t solve the
subtler problems--though I think experienced people develop a good e
ye
for what is likely to be NPOV violations.

Option 1  above makes little sense to me, and I think to you also,
because less watched does not = less notable. it just means less
popular. We'll lose most of the senators. We'll keep the wrestlers.
Option 2 will take a lot of tweaking. Since flagged revisions is
essentially certain to be approved for a trial, why don't we wait and
see how it works, as the first of the tweaks. If we change too many
variables at once, we'll end up with a lot of rules that won;t really
have been necessary.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 5:27 PM, doc <doc.wikipe...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Flagged revisions is not going to solve much more than obvious
> vandalism. If we flag  a good proportion of article, then we will need
> lots of reviewers, and the level will be set at sysop of lower - the
job
> will be tedious and done by the lazy with an eye on edit count. The
> problem is that subtle attempt to insert credible untruths,
half-truths,
> or facts spun to create an imbalanced biased picture of a person will
> almost certainly walk through this.
>
> Only what is obvious to the average lazy reviewer will be prevented -
> but what is obvious to the reviewer is not harmful, because it is also
> obvious to the reader. Hence, general flagging will not solve the BLP
> problem, it will not really even he
lp.

> We won't dent this until we start to take maintainability into
> consideration as well as verifiability. Sure, any individual BLPs
/can/
> be written in good way, but, taken together, our wiki-structure /will
> not/ maintain this level of BLPs without an unacceptable level of
> harmful articles. Eventualism does not work here - because shitty
biased
> BLPS in the meantime are not acceptable.
>
> We have two choices:
> 1) delete a large proportion of our lower notability  (=less watched
by
> knowledgable people) BLPs. OR
> 2) tweek the structures so that those motivated to be doing the
quality
> control (and that includes clued readers) are able to maintain more
> articles.
>
> The second option means looking at:
> 1) Spot banning anyone pushing negative POVs on a BLP. We should not
> waste resources arguing with such people.
> 2) Permanently semi-protecting any article where there's been a
previous
> harmful BLP violation that's not been reverted within a few hours.
These
> are the articles that our open editing has failed once - the subject
> should not be open to it again.
> 3) *Insisting on sourcing*. Yes, the patroler /could/ google and check
> the  verifiability of the thing for himself. But we simply DO NOT have
> enough clued patroler to do this. We must put the onus on the editor
> giving the information to "show his working" - so that the partoler
(or
> the casual
reader) will be quicker to see any problems with the
sourcing.