Try this as a general approach:

   - This is not a new idea.
   - We've got vandalism down to under one article in 200, and a variety of
   advanced programs and patrols of hundreds of users who get the usual fixing
   time down to seconds or minutes when it does happen.
   - But obviously we want to do even better.
   - A lot of people gauge Wikipedia in terms of quantity of edits. The last
   2 years the focus has been on improving quality of edits, and especially,
   finding even better ways to prevent deliberately harmful edits such as
   vandalism.
   - Our historical answer is "protection" - everyone is prevented from
   editing a page if it is being badly mis-edited. That's highly disruptive and
   frustrates many edits since one bad apple can hold up the process.
   - A more recent addition is the Abuse filter, a system that allows
   flagrantly bad edits to be prevented but lets through good ones. It's a
   program though so it can't differentiate apparently good posts that are
   really not good.
   - Our newest answer is therefore this thing called "flagged revisions" -
   the requirement that when an edit is made to a sensitive article, someone
   who's been round a while, which is one of thousands of users, checks to say
   it's okay, before letting it go "live".
   - Our test bed has been the german wikipedia, the second largest language
   to English in the Wikipedia websites.
   - Our main target and test bed is articles about people, because those
   are seen to be more sensitive and of special importance to get right. The
   wider reported vandalism cases usually relate to these articles, just
   because articles about people are so visible. So it makes sense to apply
   possible solutions to these and see what effect it has on editing quantity
   and quality.

That's how I'd explain it (condensed and simplified as needed for the media
concerned).

FT2