Gwern Branwen wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Thomas Dalton<thomas.dal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2009/9/5  <wjhon...@aol.com>:
>>
>>> Charles a few things.
>>>
>>> You do not need to be in the US to read a Google Book.  There is a thing
>>> called proxy or super proxy or something of that sort, which will mask where
>>> you are, and thus allow anyone to read a book as if they were in the US.
>>>
>> That is probably illegal, though.
>>

> Or at least a violation of the Terms of Service.
>
> I dislike such advice that takes the form of 'oh, that's not a
> problem, just <do technically involved thing> to bypass an issue'.

Yup, there is a reason the wjhon...@aol.com mails still have a killfile
chez moi. Managing to miss the point that if a link appears broken to
anyone in the world it might simply get removed seems a fundamental
error. It wasn't about whether I'm deprived of the info, but what form
of citation is good to have on Wikipedia for this patchy service.

Charles