On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Rob <gamali...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's also the lack of interesting controversies to spur editors'
> interest in the Chilean earthquake.  With Haiti, you had Pat
> Robertson's stupid comments, the alleged attempted kidnapping of
> orphans, the invasion of Scientology, etc.  Haiti's geographic
> proximity also increased relative coverage.  The US English language
> media also largely ignores Latin America unless Hugo Chavez says
> something to hurt our feelings.
>
> Of course these theories only apply to US-based editors.  It would be
> an interesting exercise to geographically map out IP addresses and see
> where the interest and lack of interest is coming from.

Well, the en-wiki article is still rubbish. I had to write something
today referring to this earthquake, and while the en-wiki article (and
the sources to which it attributes the information it contains) was
good enough for the limited information I needed, if I had wanted
anything more detailed or indeed more informative and balanced, the
Spanish Wikipedia article is still much, much better.

Versions for comparison if anyone is interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=2010_Chile_earthquake&oldid=351379618

http://es.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Terremoto_de_Chile_de_2010&oldid=35380486

On en-wiki, the tsunami stuff takes up about half the article and is
mostly irrelevant to what should be the main focus of the article. on
es-wiki, the tsunami is tightly constrained to a short subsection,
with more details in a sub-article. On en-wiki, there is little on the
regional impacts within Chile, while on es-wiki, there is a section
with eight subsection detailing what happened in different areas of
Chile. The es-wiki article also has a lot more pictures.

Of course, there is a notice on the en-wiki article suggesting people
update and rewrite using the es-wiki article, but that doesn't seem to
be having any effect. I may eventually try and do something myself on
this article, but it is rather disappointing the way the article
stalled and just isn't going anywhere.

Carcharoth