Philip Sandifer wrote:
> On May 15, 2010, at 10:12 AM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>
>> But I can't say that these points really apply in many cases that we
>> appear to be applying them: We would reject as reliable sources many
>> hobbyist blogs (or even webcomics) with a stronger reputation to
>> preserve, less obviously-compromised motivations, and _significantly_
>> greater circulation than some obscure corner of Fox News's online
>> product.  What can be the explanation for this discrepancy?
>>

> Two reasons. 1) Egregious anti-expert bias. 2) A fundamental misunderstanding
> of the nature of the written record of humanity.
>
> 1) Our policies are explicitly and deliberately written to try to allow
> content decisions to be made without any actual knowledge of the subject.
> That is, we have actively tried to write policy that rejects any thinking
> about sources beyond the surface level readings, and that take as a premise
> that, given a large enough pile of books, anybody can adequately write or
> edit an article on any topic. This premise is dubious at best.
>
> 2) We also make the actively false assumption that all significant knowledge
> is written down, and that the written record is simply a transcription of
> human knowledge. Neither statement is true - in virtually every field of
> knowledge, because fields of knowledge organize around communities, there is
> a substantial oral tradition of disseminated knowledge that is often crucial
> to understanding the overall subject. The contents of this oral tradition may
> be written down, but not in a systemic and organized way, while in practice
> the oral tradition often is fairly systemic. At its most basic level, this
> translates to "There are things in any field that everybody knows, and since
> everybody knows them nobody has bothered to write them down."
>
> The combination results in a badly distended view of knowledge that has
> wrecked more than a handful of articles on Wikipedia.

Second try at sending this... here goes nothing. (gmail, man up!)

While this is not a reply specifically to what Greg raises, it
is a fact that we aren't just giving the cold shoulder to
"silent knowledge", but also stuff written down in a language
not our own, when it happens to exist.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen