On 29/12/2010, David Goodman <dgoodma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The point of our projects  as a whole, is to provide information,; it
> is much more important to make the information easy to find so people
> will not miss it, even by their usual habit of relying on the google
> hit & not following even the most obvious of cross-references, rather
> than argue about which of two places to put it.

I think that ultimately this position is harmful. Information is
extremely valuable, but putting things in the consistent places and
generating and sticking to standards raises quality. As much as
possible we want one, fairly obvious place to put each bit of
information, not multiple places where they can be found, and doing
that involves making clear-cut distinctions that we can explain to
people.

WMF is trying to write reference works, not just collect piles of
information (the internet does that). Being a reference work requires
that they be capable of being referred to and classified according to
some scheme that our policies outline.

It therefore helps to keep word articles separate from general concept
articles in some way. It doesn't necessarily matter how you do it,
provided there are standards for both. I don't think that words are
concepts in the same way- or if they are, different languages have
different concepts in that sense, and hence words are less general and
less useful.

--
-Ian Woollard