I think that it is also worth pointing out that, in my experience, articles
on Hudong are pretty bad. They are poorly formatted, poorly written,
generally lack inline referencing, and often have copyright violations.
Baidu Baike is of somewhat higher quality, though I think that both pale in
comparison to the best of Wikipedia. We definitely shouldn't be viewing this
in number terms alone.

I admit that I am not an editor on either of the Chinese online
encyclopedias, but my impression is that editors there lack a sense of
ownership over what they write. I don't mean ownership in the negative sense
of owning individual articles, but in the positive sense of feeling like
they have a say in how things are run. Nameless, faceless administrators
censor politically objectionable content without explanation, and things
like notability standards, template formatting and Manual of Style type
issues don't seem to be addressed by the community. As has been noted many
times, there is a point system in which frequent editors can gain higher
rankings, but these rankings seem to confer mostly prestige, and not much
concrete beyond that. I'm not convinced that this model will produce a
better encyclopedia in the long run.

Of course, I freely admit that I am a Wikipedia guy, and don't go over to
the Chinese encyclopedias much, so if I am missing some strong sense of
purpose that is actually felt by editors there, someone else should chime in
and let me know.