On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 4:24 AM, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Deleting newcomers' hard work is one of our big PR problems. Even if,
> after contemplation, we decide we were actually right to do so.
>
> When someone wanders into the sausage factory and the very first thing
> that happens is that they fall head-first into the meat grinder ...
> this is an *unfortunate* circumstance.

And it's also unfortunate that the first thing many newbies think of
doing is creating a new article. In some cases it's because they have
a [[WP:COI]] and are only [[WP:HERE]] to write that article. In
others, they are honestly creating articles that interest them but run
into a gauntlet of [[WP:NPP|new page pouncers]]. Here's a case of an
editor who got frustrated with all his "submissions" being tagged for
deletion so he tagged them all for G7 and is trying to get them back
at WP:REFUND.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Abbythecat

The advise I would give newcomers is to not create new articles but
start out by editing existing ones. Another alternative is to expand
stubs and redirects in Category:Redirects with possibilities.

Ron