Hi all,

The English Wikipedia categorises biographies by gender in some
circumstances (eg athletes), but not systematically in the way that
German does - there are no supercategories of "Men", "Women", etc,
designed to list all members of those groups, and plenty of biography
articles have no "gendered" categories. There are, of course, good
reasons to avoid this, and conversely good reasons to do it... but I'm
wondering why we do it this way.

I remember it being referred to many years ago as long-standing
practice, but I've dug around a bit in the discussion archives and
can't seem to pin it down. It's probably pre-2004, maybe even pre-2003
- anyone remember?

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.g...@dunelm.org.uk