> For academics "personal communication" is
> indeed sometimes an acceptable way to annotate a citation. But for this
> type of issue an open letter to the New Yorker is surely better all
> round.
>
> Charles

Really, I don't know why a personal communication would not be sufficient
for us, provided we know we are actually talking to the person. I suppose
some "personal communications" would be troublesome. I can imagine
someone lying or giving us false information. Saying editorial discretion
would not solve the problem of editors not being able to deal
appropriately with such communications. Academics are somewhat more able.

Fred