The easiest solution would have been to ask Roth to write a blog post (or
something similar) detailing the inspiration for the book -- as far as I
know, that inspiration was not publicized until the open letter was
published. Another option would have been an interview with basically any
website.

While I'm sure someone will chime in saying "that's against WP:RS!", it's
actually not. See WP:SELPPUB: "Self-published and questionable sources may
be used as sources of information *about themselves*, usually in articles
about themselves or their activities" (emphasis in original)

--Ed