Thanks Maarten for the update.

I wonder, from a non-nerd POV, if we could have some kind of statistics and its 
progress. I am thinking on files-monuments-users per country-lang. For exemple, 
how to organize a prize for quantity? I know there was something like that last 
year.

Vicenç

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 15:55:51 +0200
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Update European tools



  



    
  
  
    Hi everyone,

        

        Everyone is busy working on their national contest. Some things
        you have to do locally, other things are provided on a European
        level. A lot of things were already mentioned on this list, but
        I would to provide a list anyway. What are the things we can
        offer:
    

    
    * Upload form : There is going
        to be an upload form per country in multiple languages. We're
        working on the details with the WMF. When the prototype is ready
        I expect each country to provide input (my Belarusian is not
        what it used to be). I'll send around another email when I know
        more (soon I hope). Notes at [1]
    

    
    * Automatic categorization: If
        the unique identifier of a monument is provided, it's possible
        to automatically categorize images after upload using an automated bot 
which
        has access to the database. This is already up and
        running. Take for example the Netherlands. Images are uploaded
        to Category:Rijksmonumenten with a identifier
        ({{Rijksmonument|<id>}}). The bot keeps an eye on
        category:Rijksmonumenten and tries to categorize these images
        every once in a while. How does this work? Every id is in a
        list. A list contains a link to Commons ({{Commonscat|<some
        category>}}). The bot uses this information to categorize the
        image. This can be set up for every country with unique
        identifiers. Example at [2].
    

    
    * Automatic addition of
        coordinates: If you monuments have an unique identifier and the
        list entry contains coordinates for a monument, a bot will add
        this location ({{Object location|<lat>|<lon>}}) to
        the image. This can be set up for every country with unique
        identifiers. Example at [3].
    

    
    * Monuments api [4]: The
        monuments api is going to be the basis for multiple tools:
    ** Monuments on the map in
        Open StreetMap, Google Maps & Google Earth. This should be
        easy to embed in your own website. This is not finished yet.
    ** Augmented reality using
        Layar. Prototype at [5]
    ** Maybe more?
    

    
    * Commonist: Would be great if someone can
        pick up the Commonist Simplification - a simplified Commonist
        fork which prefills all fields where possible and makes it
        useful for non-nerds. Current version explanation available on
        [6]. To pick this up, you need to be able to program in java. 
    

    
    Especially for the monuments
        api based tools we could use more help. We already have a lot of
        cool local tools. It would be great if we have some awesome
        European tools too from which all countries can benefit.
    

      A full (raw) list of tools
          is available at 
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2011/Tools
      

    
    Maarten & Lodewijk
    

    
    [1] 
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:NeilK/Multimedia2011/WikiLovesMonuments
    [2] 
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/w/index.php?title=File%3ADonkere_Spaarne_20.jpg&action=historysubmit&diff=44237052&oldid=44233495
    [3] 
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/w/index.php?title=File:Donkere_Spaarne_20.jpg&diff=next&oldid=44237052
    [4] http://toolserver.org/~erfgoed/api/api.php
    [5] http://owlz.org/?url=http://toolserver.org/~erfgoed/layar/location.html
    [6] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Tools/Commonist
  


_______________________________________________
Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu                                          
_______________________________________________
Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu

Reply via email to