That's not a real problem, but for not Dutch people it's quite difficult to
prononce it ;)
French people can't prononce "Rijksmonument" :pand for a lot of persons a
National Heritage Site have more meaning than a word which sounds like monument.
My comment was a general one. If someone want to find the monuments protected
in nederlands needs to know this word. So he loose time to find this word first.
Of course he could find it, but no body knows how to do a "perfect search" on
Commons...
Well, if I want to search "National Heritage Site in Nederlands" and most of
descriptions of the images are not in English and if also the category not in
English, I will find with the commons research, and also google research
configurate to research only in Commons, I'll find only the files which a
description with a mention of "National Heritage Site" and "Nederlands".
Certainly peanuts. Well I'm speaking about English because it's one of the most
spoken languages. But we need to keep in mind that everybody do not speak
English very well.
Translating categories will increasethe efficience of the search and the
visibility of Commons.
You could but a sondage on yours wikipedia about Commons, you'll see few people
like to search on it...
Florian Farge aka Otourly
Sur lesprojets wikimédiens et l'Association française,sur OxyRadio, OSM, et sur
MOVIM
Socio di Wikimedia Italia
>________________________________
>De : Jane Darnell <[email protected]>
>À : Otourly Wiki <[email protected]>; Wiki Loves Monuments Photograph
>Competition <[email protected]>
>Envoyé le : Lundi 1 Août 2011 14h26
>Objet : Re: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Re : Identification structure on Commons, a
>must have before 1 september.
>
>
>Thanks for the replies!
>
>
>Maybe what we need to do here is brush up our English. In my reality, living
>in the Netherlands, a "Rijksmonument" is a concept of a building that has a
>certain stamp-of-approval from the Dutch government. This building is so
>important to the cultural heritage of the country, that they put a
>blue-and-white label on it (and a brown label on it, and a white label on
>it,.. OK I won't bore you with more details).
>
>
>I could call this building a "National Heritage Site" using the English term
>as it is used in the US, or I could call it a "Listed building" as that term
>is used in the UK, but what I really want to call it is a "Rijksmonument",
>since that is what the Dutch government and the Dutch tourist offices call it.
>Using the Dutch term makes it clear also for people interested in heritage. I
>vote to use the Dutch term, and guess what? That is also what is used on
>Commons. It may not be strictly English, but it is the internationally correct
>term to use, as it is defined in the Netherlands. Therefore, I vote to call
>this an English term!!
>http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Rijksmonumenten
>Ergo, let's do this for all countries (yes even for those cyrillic users!)
>
>
>Jane
>
>
>2011/8/1 Otourly Wiki <[email protected]>
>
>Yes all commons categories are in English or should be in English. I still
>dream that these categories should be translated with an English base. I'm
>speaking about a real translation of categories, not about redirects which are
>not a solution.
>>
>>Because for more efficient search on commons, we currently have to search on
>>wikipedias and then use the link given by the template commonscat (or
>>derivative) when it is there.
>>
>>Direct search don't give the same ressult in every language. In one hand
>>commons should be a multilingual and multimedia bank online, in another hand
>>all is done to not use commons directly...
>>
>>But it's another debate...
>>
>>Florian Farge aka Otourly
>>Sur lesprojets wikimédiens et l'Association française,sur OxyRadio, OSM, et
>>sur MOVIM
>>Socio di Wikimedia Italia
>>
>>
_______________________________________________
Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu