On 22/01/12 20:04, Pharos wrote:
Hi folks,

Has any thought been given to organized uploads of >100 MB videos?

Being forced to reduce video quality dramatically can be kind of a
downer for contributors, and it would be great if we had a better
interface or something for decent-sized videos coming through an
approved outreach project.

This also applies to the prospects of increasing university course video
projects:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_Ambassador_Program_student_projects

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)

Do you expect many >100MB uploads on WLM 2012?
Uploads larger than 100MB are already possible (for instance, dmcdevit is doing one tomorrow), but they need the involvement of someone with shell access. Which hasn't been too problematic, given that uploading through HTTP isn't the most reliable way to do it. Upload by url is a viable solution for approved outreach projects, it's likely to be available on 1.20 deployment (not going to happen on 1.19, as domain limitation (r109562) was reverted). But won't for a random user. You can advertise that upload of larger files is possible, and direct your users to an email address. We can manage it when it comes.