Hi All

I¹m really glad you have started up this conversation, the South African WLM
team were just discussing it yesterday! Smart phone penetration in South
Africa is very high and it would be an essential tool for both WLM, in the
immediate future, and WM Commons in the long term. It is an invaluable tool
and should be built properly so that it works for android, blackberry (very
popular in Africa) and iphone ­ but then, I am not sure what the WM dev
processes are.

>From the African context, we expect that the WLM photo competition with be
the first time that many people will be contributing to Wikipedia. With this
in mind, this is the kind of functionality that would be 1st prize:
* drop down selection of country (or that the app would recognise which
country you are in and automatically Œpoint¹ to the right list)
* simple registration ­ to the competition and wikipedia at the same time
(name, username, email, cellphone, language)
* ability to locate and link the photo/video to the heritage site they want
to photo  (they don¹t have to see what others have uploaded)
* ability to Œnominate¹ a heritage site that is not on the list (due to SA¹s
complex history, monuments are very Œcolonial¹ and many people have very
different ideas of what should be labelled a heritage site or monument)
* geolocation (some of our monuments/heritage sites haven¹t yet been
geolocated)
* and joining the world of social media, the ability to seamlessly share
each photo across all social media platforms ­ facebook, twitter, foursquare
and others to get maximum buzz and interest in the competition.

Other Œnice to have¹s¹ would be:
* the ability to pull the photos in from such platforms as instagram, viddy,
foursquare, etc. (are they allowed to Œdoctor¹ the photo?)
* to upload multiple photos ­ such as many angles of a building or statue at
once.
* simple photography suggestions/tutorial (minimum sizes, framing, etc. into
account) so we can get the best possible quality
* a call for people to contribute text about the heritage site that they
have just uploaded.

Not being a developer, I am not sure how difficult these things are to
achieve. Is it possible?

Warmest
Isla

WikiAfrica
Project Manager: Africa                      tel:      +27 21 418 3336
skype: islahaddow                               twitter: @wikiafrica
www.africacentre.net/wikiafrica         get started:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiAfrica

From: Jan Ainali <jan.ain...@wikimedia.se>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 22:37:15 +0200
To: Wiki Loves Monuments Photograph Competition
<wikilovesmonuments@lists.wikimedia.org>
Subject: Re: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Quick survey: your thoughts about a
mobile app

Sure, they are not super high quality, but a photo from a smartphone can be
good enough to become a Quality Image. [1]
Your second comment is really important, it is easy to shoot a video from
the phone, but a pain to upload it. Right now you first have to transfer it
to the computer and then convert it to ogv before you can upload it. A stage
area where you upload videos where they are batchconverted to ogv would be
nice.

[1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kiev_monument_140.jpg

/Jan Ainali

2012/4/11 rupert THURNER <rupert.thur...@gmail.com>
> hi elya,
>
> if the mobile app helps:
> * to locate the monument
> * to show what fotos already exist
> * to  enter the contest
> * to add metadata
> it would be nice.
>
> but i cannot imagine a workflow which helps uploading high quality
> images. i like the mobile strategy a lot - but developping an upload
> app is maybe too tempting nowadays as instagram got bought by
> facebook.
>
> rupert
>

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 21:27, elya <ew...@web.de> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I'd like to share some discussion points we had recently with the
>> > foundation's mobile app development. I would highly appreciate your
>> > opinions, ideas and thoughts. Unfortunately, my next call with WMF is
>> > already tomorrow evening (sorry for that).
>> >
>> > The WMF will most probably develop an upload app for smartphones. We are
>> > invited to provide ideas and requests for our - WLM - needs.
>> >
>> > The basic, most simplified upload workflow would be borrowed from the
>> > upload wizard and adapted to smartphones for the mobile Wikipedia
>> > browser app.
>> >
>> > Another idea is an advanced workflow that would be provided already as
>> > an Android or iPhone app (based on the PhoneGap framework), with
>> > extended options for geolocation, additional campaigns like WLM or
>> > uploading an image straight from the article (monuments list...)
>> >
>> > From my point of view, the most realistic approach (given WMF's
>> > depolyment cycles and the timeline) is the basic mobile browser app -
>> > that does not help us very much for WLM in its basic design, and due to
>> > iOS restrictions it most probably would not work for iPhones. However,
>> > maybe it could be slightly extended for our needs.
>> >
>> > From your point of view:
>> >
>> > 0) How do you generally feel about the mobile upload app for WLM - from
>> > an international perspective?
>> > 1) What do you generally think would be a minimal requirement to make a
>> > mobile app usable/helpful for WLM?
>> > 2) What would be next on your wishlist to make it real fun?
>> > 3) Any ideas how a team of volunteer developers could support staff
>> > developers effectively with the mobile app? (I'll have to discuss that)
>> > 4) anything I did not consider here?
>> >
>> > Some details about the plans can be found here:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MobileFrontend/Photo_upload#Wiki_Loves_Monumen>>
ts

>> > Thanks for your feedback!
>> >
>> > Regards,