Before conspiracy theories go too far - I do think it is worth noting that the
possible missteps by the press (and not Jimmy) that folks are suggesting do
indeed happen often.

News outlets need to attract readers to make ad sales.  The reality is that not
many non-Wikimedians know, or care, about who Jimmy is.  It is in the paper's
best interest to make that link for the reader to get more attention for the
article.

There have been many times when I have submitted things to news outlets and
specifically asked them NOT to include my organization affiliations - but they
do it anyway.  So, yes, the notion that the press inserted his link to
Wikipedia is absolutely plausible and happens often.  The notion that folks
submitting content to the press have any control over what the press does with
it at that point is absolutely false.

I think anyone that has been interviewed by the press more than a dozen times
has had experiences of the reporter doing the exact opposite of what you
request, or completely messing up your quote.  It happens.

I do not know what happened here, but the idea that Jimmy never mentioned
Wikipedia or Wikimedia anywhere in his writing, and that the press inserted it
for him, would absolutely not surprise me as it has happened to me before.

Just wanted to add that as I sensed some folks were quicker to believe  Jimmy
was to "blame" than the press - who in my experience are just as often the
culprit in disagreements like this.

While I do not agree with this view, a number of folks in the press have also
told me they do not see linking a person to their "claims to fame" imply they
are then speaking on behalf of those causes (they often use former elected
officials, who retain their prefix titles, as examples).  Again, I disagree,
but have heard that multiple times from reporters at different news outlets - I
would not be surprised to learn that the copy-editor, or whomever, felt the
same here.

-greg