On 4 September 2012 21:01, Gwern Branwen <gwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904875404576532431335938862.html
> September 2011
>
>> Adding more editors “is one of our top priorities for the year,” says Howie
>> Fung…aims to increase the number of editors across all languages of
>> Wikipedia to 95,000 from 81,450 by June of next year.
>
> From http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesWikipediaZZ.htm using the >5
> edits a month metric used in WMF docs:
>
> 1. July 2012: 76,400
> 2. June 2012: 74,402
> 3. May 2012: 76,956
> 4. April 2012: 75,141
> 5. March 2012; 76,274
>
> The high water mark, incidentally, seems to have been March 2007 with
> 90,618 editors >5 edits that month. So we have been shrinking ~2.8k
> editors a year  ((91 - 77) / (2012 - 2007)). In retrospect, my 75%
> prediction that this priority would not be achieved
> (http://predictionbook.com/predictions/3241) was ludicrously
> optimistic, given that the 95k editor mark has *never* been reached.

I don't disagree with the overall results - editor numbers are still
in decline - but I think it's worth including the caveat that the
numbers reported on the wikistats site have recently been adjusted
downwards by around 5% -
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/08/31/improving-the-accuracy-of-the-active-editors-metric/

The result is that Howie's quote above is doubly unlikely - it's based
on an inflated estimate of how many editors we had then. Our figures
for Aug 2011 are now 76,126 rather than the 81,450 quoted; adjusting
his target accordingly, this would make it around 89,500. Still a long
way to go, though, whichever you use!

I've quickly graphed the recent numbers (just focusing on the period
after the initial exponential growth, so starting in 2007):

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikipedia_editor_numbers_2007-2012_recalculated.svg

It seems that the rate of decline may be slowing, at least. Which I
guess is something.

The really interesting part comes from separating out the data for the
English Wikipedia, which is 30% down from its 2007 peak, down from
50,000 editors to 35,000 - the graph is smoother, but otherwise looks
very similar to the first one.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikipedia_editor_numbers_2007-2012_recalculated_-_English_only.svg

In fact, the decline on en.wp is so steep that it actually represents
almost all the overall decline in the projects; if you look at the
totals for every project except en.wp, the graph jumps around a bit
but is actually quite stable. Since the start of 2008, the three-month
moving average has always been 40,000 editors +- 5%.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikipedia_editor_numbers_2007-2012_recalculated_-_Non-English_Wikipedias_only.svg

One last interesting point: the 2010 drop was mostly a non-en.wp
event; the drop on en.wp was proportionally much less. I have no idea
as to the likely cause of this.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.g...@dunelm.org.uk