David Richfield, 30/04/2013 10:50:
James answered this in his original email:

No, that doesn't answer (see also talk page).

Nemo

It will now only be possible for accounts to be renamed globally; the
RenameUser tool will no longer work on a local basis - since all accounts must
be globally unique - therefore it will be withdrawn from bureaucrats' tool
sets. It will still be possible for users to ask on Meta for their account to
be renamed further, if they do not like their new user name, once this takes
place.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Magnus Manske