Allow me first to congratulate Frank. I think he is a great choice and
already proved how much he capable to do amazing things, so I have a great
hopes in this new organizations.

Saying that and moving to talk about the organization and the process, and
not about the person, this grant and program itself had been discussed over
the past months in a unofficial lists.

This grant is a the biggest grant the WMF ever gave to a new group -
147,570$. The grant department gave in the past (for one year) more than
that to a few big chapters (WMNL/AT/SE/DE) but all of them was a already
existing chapters with a record of few years. The WEF hasn't been yet
approved by the affcom, BTW. I can't see in the near future  (especially
after the last board decision) any other new group or chapter getting even
quarter of budget in their first new year. It's worth to read the
discussion the GAC had around this grant request:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants_talk:PEG/User:Pjthepiano_-_Wiki_Education_Foundation/US_and_Canada_Wikipedia_Education_Program

I'm part of the communication committee for a many years, and indeed this
press release was also very strange to me (and it been also published on
Wikipedia's official Facebook page and others social media channels). It
seem like it will be unclear if the WEF will get a special treatment from
the WMF/staff, not like others groups or chapters.

BTW, the WEF didn't budgeted office rent in their grant request, and as the
grants are restricted, it seem like they will need to find a Pro bono
office, or to ask for revising their grant.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Jan-Bart de Vreede <jdevre...@wikimedia.org