Hello Charles,

I like this idea. Individual wikis can try this out effectively, in
many different ways, using geotargeting.  I wonder what sort of data
we can get out of such banners: can we track total views and
clickthroughs? (Is it any easier to get such data out of central
banners coordinated through Meta?)

Asaf mentioned the geo-targeted campaign in the Philippines. It was
not very successful; but noted:
    "no special tools are needed to attempt this, and interested community
     members could design and run their own experiments along these lines."

That seems like a constructive way to pursue this line of thinking.
There have only been a few small campaigns so far that invited people
to edit, so we don't yet know much about what works and what doesn't
work.

Charles Andrès <charles.andres.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The easy one would be to add to the thank you message an invitation to
> join/meet/take information about users-group, thematic organisation or
> chapters.
> This move may help to improve the retention by a face to face approach.

This would be interesting: easy for a reader to say 'yes' and easy to
measure the result.  We could ask local groups which ones want signups
from geolocated readers, and run banners in that area that help
readers sign up.

> The complex one would be to develop a system to invite people to contribute
> in specific article.

Yes.  This is complex in a way, but your suggestion is much simpler
than what has been tried so far: one click from the banner to editing
a section.   And inviting people to edit before asking them to
register also seems simpler.

> Identify the categories of the page currently displayed

Is it currently possible to page-target or category-target banners?
This would be useful for all sorts of messaging.

> I start a page on meta to see if this idea can be
> discuss/expand/improved/deployed
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CH/outreach_fundraising_campaign
>
> Thanks for your comment or your help, you can also took my idea , change it
> totally and turn it in something doable! :-D

Thank you for sharing :)  I'm not yet sure how much of it is currently
doable, but it's a good area for experimentation.

Nathan writes:
> So, as has been suggested on this list before (by me, and others), maybe
> you should run a separate outreach campaign, with actually useful and
> targeted banners

How could we experiment with a large number of banners and campaigns,
driven by communities on individual wikis?  I don't know if any WMF
staff are considering this in the near future, but it's something that
anyone can organize.  Community groups can propose global banners via
CentralNotice on Meta (easier if they are run at a low %, or wiki- or
geo-targeted), and can run local banners as well, though with less
flexibility.

SJ