From: James Alexander <jalexan...@wikimedia.org>
Date: 23/03/2014  23:47  (GMT+02:00)
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Setting ticket prices

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Carlos M. Colina
<ma...@wikimedia.org.ve>wrote:

> Wait, are we in kindergarden? I think Rupert's email was sent off-list, so
> basically there is no need to bring it up to the list, regardless how
> related it is to the thread. Private discussions between two people should
> remain that, _private_, no?
>
> I just don't get it.
>
> M.

While in general that is the goal (private emails staying private) I would
say that in a case like this, no, you have no expectation of privacy when
you go 'off list' to, in my opinion, harass and intimidate someone about
what they did on the list. I think Nathan was completely reasonable to
bring it back on list and that MZs comment is completely correct. It's like
'taking it outside' of a bar to have a fight, the bar is completely
reasonable in banning you for it and it's still illegal.

Rupert's email was completely unacceptable and I'm glad Nathan brought it
to our attention rather then either getting into a prolonged off-list
debate that helps no one or letting it lie so that no one else was aware of
the attacks.

James