(Note this reply is entirely in my personal capacity, and does not in any
way represent anything at all official)

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Ting Chen <wing.phil...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Files and contents that let's say are legal in the EU but not in the US
> should of the be able to be stored on a server located in the EU and
> distributed and operated from there. Files and contents that are legal in
> PRC and Taiwan and may violate copy right law in the US should be able to
> be stored in a server say in Taiwan or Hongkong and be distributed from
> there into the world. This approach is meanwhile technical viable and is
> used by almost all major international internet providers today.

As I recall, the problem with this suggestion is that it wouldn't actually
work that way. For material that's illegal in the US but legal in the EU,
the US branch would be sued despite the material being hosted in the EU.
And similarly, for something legal in the US but not legal in the EU, the
EU branch would be sued. The end result would be that everyone everywhere
would have to comply with the *most* restrictive laws, not the least. And
if it did work, the individual contributors would still probably have to
watch out for liability.

Or is the idea here to have Wikipedia be "run" by a large number of
different legal entities? I don't have any idea of how that might work to
do more than guess that the necessary legal structure (if it's even
possible) would result in something hugely complex.