Hi,

I would like to point out a couple of points:
* WMF or other affiliates can (and should, IMHO) look out for
sponsorships towards other organisations worth supporting when there
is the occasion, this is IMHO a legitimate activity (and "investment")
as any other, i.e. the sponsor gains the visibility ensuing the
sponsorship. The evaluation of the worthiness and impact of these
activities is then left to the single entities, as for any other
activity.
* we could start thinking if these entities could become WMF
affiliates and go after the processes the other affiliates go through
for funding their own projects (i.e. GAC) or more generally all of
their activity (e.g. FDC). I have been thinking about whether the
processes we currently use are usable also for the rest of the
free/open knowledge in the world.  Alternatively, we could set-up a
different process, if needed. In general, my point would be that it is
up for other organisations to come and seek funding instead of
Wikimedia Foundation proposing to support them. Does this make sense?

On a completely different level on this discussion, I would like to
point out that Wikimedia Italia has started the process to become
local chapter of the OpenStreetMap Foundation in Italy.

Cristian