On May 28, 2014 7:09 PM, "Wil Sinclair" <w...@wllm.com> wrote:

> Thanks, I wasn't aware I could do this. I'm assuming that it would be
> obvious who was an employee at Wikimedia in the log, too. I posted the
> following to Wikipediocracy a few minutes ago:
>
> "
> I may have misread which page the rev was on, or I misunderstood the
> person who said s/he revdeleted it in thinking that it had been
> revdeleted in the previous few minutes. This is exactly why I prefer
> public recorded forums. Now no one can go back to clear up the
> confusion. For all I know, I might have to apologize for a
> misunderstanding, and it would really suck if I somehow misrepresented
> things and didn't have any opportunity to straighten things out.
>
> Of course, it is entirely on me. I knew that the IRC channels weren't
> logged, and that it was a bannable offense to log them (for those who
> aren't familiar with IRC, this essentially means that you aren't
> supposed to save conversations there; in most channels that's A-OK,
> but on all of the most used wikipedia channels it seems to be
> disallowed).

I think you may have misunderstood. Public logging is not allowed, but it's
fine to keep logs for yourself.

I wouldn't mind public logging myself, by the way.

Next time I have a concern, I will take it to wikimedia-l
> or one of the other mailing lists. As this example also shows, one
> can't be sure that the revs on a page within Wikimedia's wikis
> themselves won't be redacted after-the-fact. I'm not expressing an
> opinion about whether stuff should be redacted or on what grounds, but
> I am asserting that it is possible to do so.
> "

Your observation is correct. It is possible to delete revisions from
history. This will be logged. I'm a little surprised you seem surprised by
this. Am I misunderstanding what you mean?

> There is a discussion about this issue there, as well. It can be
> followed at the link I posted earlier. Here's the last page of the
> discussion that includes the comment above:
> http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4680&p=96600#p96600
>
> ,Wil
>
> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Wil, the deletion log of the page in question is publicly visible.
 There