Hi Andy,

The new app was built in native code from the ground up. So the nearby
feature wasn't removed as much as it was never implemented.

I apologise if I sound pedantic, but this distinction is important; for the
initial release of the new app, we focussed on the barebones features that
we needed to have included as much as we possibly could while still getting
this out of the door. The nearby feature didn't bubble up in importance as
much as the others.

Right now, the most requested item in our feedback channels by far is a
dark mode for night time reading. The number of requests for that are at
least an order of magnitude larger than requests for any other feature, so
we're focussing our efforts on that. But nearby is definitely on our
roadmap.

Thanks!

Dan

On 25 June 2014 15:14, Andy Mabbett <a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> On 25 June 2014 20:18, Miguel García <miguelgar...@wikimedia.org.es>
> wrote:
> > I will miss the amazing feature that allowed finding close
> > articles by location. Any plans for restore this feature?
>
> I came here to say the same thing. I can't believe this has been
> removed; nor that its removal came as a surprise.
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Dan Garry
Associate Product Manager for Platform and Mobile Apps
Wikimedia Foundation