On Jul 13, 2014 4:20 AM, "Wil Sinclair" <w...@wllm.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm Wil Sinclair. Strictly speaking, I've been a Wikipedian for 7
> years, but I've been an active Wikipedian for less than 3 months. In
> that time I believe I've seen a lot, but I still have a lot to learn.

Hi, Wil! Your name is a bit strange. Why not double 'l' ar the end? What
does your name mean? Are you a British?

And you must be a relative of Sir Clive Sinclair! Aren't you? I'd like to
meet him, may you arrange that for me?

Oh, I've just realized that you are a noble, like Sir Clive is! That's
really cool! How often are you eating caviar? Do you own a yacht? How much
did it cost? Are you traveling often across the Atlantic in your yacht or
you prefer Pacific, as you are presently on the West Coast?

May you share with us how those seven years of being Wikipedian passed?
What's the difference between being a Wikipedian and being an active
Wikipedian from your perspective?

> I like to contribute to diverse articles in an effort to learn more
> about things that I'm unfamiliar with. My interests include electronic
> music production, home automation, web technologies, somewhat warped
> cinema, and ADHD, which is a disorder that affects me and my family
> profoundly. Currently I'm doing research on "wild west" figures such
> as Jesse James with the goal of contributing to relevant articles.
> It's a topic I didn't know much about beforehand, and I see it as an
> opportunity to learn.

Have you started writing articles on Wikipedia? If so, may you show us your
contributions? Are you using proper works as sources for your contributions?

I am somewhat familiar with web technologies... compiling web servers for
15 years to get better performance (and hating Java for the same period of
time). What are your interests in particular?

To be honest, I think that ADHD is a bullshit, used as an a bad excuse by
mature people for their own unwillingness to work on themselves, as well as
to rationalize their oppression of children.

> I'm also working on adding more sound samples to Commons in an effort
> to make share-alike music production easier.

That's great! May you show us the examples of the sound samples you
uploaded?

> A lot of you may know me from my participation on Wikipediocracy. I'd
> like to clarify my position on this community. I believe that there
> are a lot of constructive things that are discussed there. On the
> other hand, some members engage in extreme snark and doxxing, which I
> have very vocally disapproved of from day one. I believe that the
> discussions there occasionally devolve to hate speech, which I find
> intolerable. There is a current discussion about these issues on my
> blog: http://wllm.com/2014/07/11/greg-kohs-and-bigotry/.

What is Wikipediocracy? Who is Greg Kohs and why is he relevant to us?

> I created a site called Offwiki.

That's great! Off wiki activities are extremely important for our movement!
It doesn't need to lead to content creation. Just socializing outside is a
great thing to do! It helps us to stay connected and to overcome our
conflicts.

I suppose you'll create a platform for off wiki events on your site. That
will be really useful, for sure! I really don't like the fact that we
depend on Facebook for Wikimedia events.

> I hope to get to know all of you better...

If you don't mind, I would talk with Wikimedia Serbia folk to call you to
present your platform for off wiki activities. I am sure they are
interested in sharing their events and being able to see when Wikimedia
events are going to happen in CEE region, without having to consult various
sites for that.

So, see you soon!