Hello,

At Wikimania in London August 6-7 there is a research meetup. Some RCOM
people will be there.
<
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Labs2/Hackathons/August_6-7th,_2014

I will be there all Thursday 7 August. Research ethics oversight is not the
priority for this group and statistics seems to be, but at least I want to
visit this group and see what they think.

I support Aaron and RCOM, and would prefer that no one blame either for
anything. I think both are being held responsible for a lot of complicated
issues that are beyond the scope of what they are empowered to cover. RCOM
has some strengths and weaknesses. I wish to empower the Research Committee
and make it known for its strengths, and to help it divest responsibilities
for areas which it cannot manage as well and find other channels for
dealing with whatever RCOM is unable to do.

Nathan, I would be willing to talk with you by phone or video sometime if
you like. It is not that I want to make this private, but just that text
and email are not the same as conversations with voice. I have no
solutions, but at least I might be able to describe the positions of
stakeholders in research, list options, and say something about what kinds
of actions would be conservative and what would be radical. I wish for a
bit more community participation in research oversight, but overall, I want
to reduce bureaucracy and gatekeeping, and I think others may wish for this
as well. Researchers are awesome and they need support.

yours,

Lane Rasberry
user:bluerasberry on Wikipedia
206.801.0814