I have to say that there is an unnecessary lack of transparency which seems
to get worse.  In or around May 2012 I emailed the audit committee on EN:WP
to ask about checkuser run on my account and got a polite and informative
reply.   In or around May 2014 an identically worded query got a polite
refusal.

Note, incidentally that those who run checkuser are often working from the
UK, and are quite likely under a legal obligation make this information
available.

On 3 August 2014 03:15, John Mark Vandenberg <jay...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Nathan <nawr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>..
> > I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that the logs are
> maintained
> > indefinitely but the data is retained for only 3 months (i.e. the results
> > of the check that is recorded in the log).
>
> The checkuser log are kept indefinitely, but it only records what
> usernames/IPs that were checked (i.e. the query), and the reason given
> by the checkuser for the check.
>
> It does not record the results of the query.
>
> That said, the sequence of checks run by a CU often creates a
> permanent record in the private CU log of an persons likely IP
> addresses.  e.g. the log may contain a check on an account, with a
> reason given, followed by checks on IPs, with the same reason logged.
>
> --
> John Vandenberg

Landline (UK) 01780 757 250
Mobile (UK) 0798 1995 792