On 04/08/2014, Liam Wyatt <liamwy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if this is something that Wikidata could (eventually) handle?
> I have been hoping that one day all books (at least those with ISBNs) could
> have a Wikidata entry. This would mean that all of the bibliographic

There is no point in duplicating other free databases which are
already excellent. http://worldcat.org (by OCLC) has a free to use
API, I've played around with it a little, and it can be integrated in
with any tool. As well as all ISBNs, this includes OCLC numbers (duh)
and other interesting bits and bobs like LCCN numbers that the Library
of Congress uses.

Yonks ago I wrote a greasemonkey script to scrape WorldCat entries
which I used to insert or tidy up complex references in Wikipedia
articles (this was before I hounded to death and resigned as an
admin). The current editing interface on the English Wikipedia has the
cite tool which effectively does the same thing if you put in the
ISBN, so I have never been motivated to promote my script or repackage
it as a user script. If someone wants to look at a copy during the
hackerthon, I'll pass it on, though I'd recommend reading the WorldCat
API documentation instead.
http://www.oclc.org/developer/develop/web-services/worldcat-search-api.en.html

Fae