It is very disheartening to see that active members of the community have
been Borged by the Foundation, and all tell the same story, albeit with
different levels of enthusiasm.

Quite possibly there are issues over configuration pages, but to implement
a super-protection feature *in the middle of a dispute* is ham-fisted at
best, and a blatant power grab at worst.

Many less extreme alternatives exist, and good reasons for maintaining
the *status
quo* are also not hard to find.

Since this is undoubtedly a fire, the fire-fighting steps that should be
taken immediately are:

1 Un-super-protect the page.

2 Apologise to the community

3 Give an undertaking not to use superprotect except in a clear emergency
(though I can't think of one that would justify its use) - or disable the
feature

4 Engage with the community to discuss superprotect.

Once this discussion is concluded, then and only then should a discussion
about media-viewer be entered into, meanwhile the community consensus
should be respected.

And Magnus - saying X number of people does not represent the community is
all very well,  provided that there is a mechanism for gaining a  more
representative sample - and it has been used.

All the best,  Rich Farmbrough

On 12 August 2014 19:12, Magnus Manske <magnusman...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 5:26 PM, Erik Moeller <e...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>

> > These changes will need to be carefully tested/validated. If you want
> > to take a look at an early early (!) prototype (!!), see
> > http://multimedia-alpha.wmflabs.org/wiki/Lightbox_demo , but please
> > note that anything but the basic view experience is placeholder right
> > now (as is the "Details" icon etc.), and the caption-above-the-fold is
> > not implemented yet. We've looked at some of this with folks at
> > Wikimania, and the community feedback there was very positive. But
> > like I said, give us a bit more time on this.
> >

> This looks much better! (though it appears to have problems with PNGs...)
>

> > In answer to your query regarding how we communicated about this,
> > please note that we posted the following at the beginning of the poll:
> >

> https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_Diskussion:Meinungsbilder/Medienbetrachter&diff=prev&oldid=132469014
> >

> Thanks Erik, I somehow missed this. It is indeed ample notification.
>
> Cheers,
> Magnus

Landline (UK) 01780 757 250
Mobile (UK) 0798 1995 792