Erik

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 5:32 AM, Erik Moeller <e...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> This is why on all major sites, you see a gradual ramp-up of a new
> feature, and continued improvement once it's widely used. Often
> there's an opt-in and then an opt-out to ease users into the change.
> But once a change is launched, it very rarely gets rolled back unless
> it's just clearly not doing what it's supposed to.

Are you are familiar with the Flickr experience in the last 12 months by
any chance? I think that is a very pertinent and prominent example of what
goes against what you say. The Flickr attitude was much the same as the
WMF's. That ended up in a revolt, much like the WMF is seeing against it.
In the end, they ended up doing what Erik?

Also, the other day I received a Flickr email from someone wishing to use
an image which I had not taken, but which I had uploaded to Commons. They
mentioned that they saw the photo on Commons.

When I told them that I am not the author, and that they would need to
contact Joe Bloggs, their response: "I'm sorry, this is SO confusing to me."

I put that down to MediaViewer and its adding irrelevant information, and
also the fact that file information is more difficult to find.

Russavia