On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Magnus Manske <magnusman...@googlemail.com
> wrote:

> Or, have them filled from Wikidata. Then, {{Infobox}} would be all the
> wikitext you need. This could also help to "abstract" infoboxes to load a
> placeholder/hint on mobile, then loading the box on request (click).
>
> Well, one can dream...

This would be ideal I think, since it would allow for more responsive
styling without resorting to ugly hacks specific to infobox markup.

So far as I can tell though, there is one major blocker to this: edibility.
People need to be able to update the infobox data without leaving Wikipedia
and being sent to Yet Another Wiki. This is potentially doable in
VisualEditor I think, but is hard or maybe impossible to do with any
elegance in wikitext.