On 02/09/14 10:56, Ricordisamoa wrote:
Il 26/08/2014 12:18, Craig Franklin ha scritto:
The editor retention problem will not be solved with technological gizmos
and doodads, nor with top-down solutions imposed from above.  It will be
solved with positive human contact and creating a collaborative community that people actually want to be a part of, rather than one that they put up
with.
This makes my first RFBOT on the Italian Wikipedia <https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bot/Autorizzazioni/Archivio/2013#SamoaBot> come to my mind. I was much less experienced than now, and ended up flooding Recent Changes. A bureaucrat threatened <https://it.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=56154161&oldid=56152222> to block me, and I even retired <https://it.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=56157910> for a day.
But I was already 'addicted' to Wikipedia and came back soon after.

Thanks to that episode, I gradually became a quite experienced operator. But... how many users would have given up in my place?

If someone has already gone to the trouble of making a bot, it seems unlikely that they would give up after a single incident. I've seen it happen after a protracted series of such incidents/screwups, but that's perhaps better for everyone involved anyway at that point.

-I