Nathan wrote:
>The annual plan has a nice representation of staffing growth in the last 5
>years. In 2009-2010, the WMF had 50 employees. In this fiscal year it
>anticipates having 240. The staff expense went from 2.2m in 2009 to nearly
>20m in the recently ended year, and surely much more for the current one.
>Whatever questions or conclusions you can draw from that, it is a
>mind-boggling growth rate for a non-profit company.

... but not really a mind-boggling growth rate for a tech company. :-)

There's talk about further expanding the engineering department. As the
next Strategic Plan is drafted, I think re-evaluating both the location of
the headquarters/offices and the rate of staff growth will be incredibly
important.

On the former, San Francisco is, of course, crazy expensive and after six
years of the Wikimedia Foundation being out there, I question whether the
benefit is worth the high cost.

On the latter, I thought both the Board and Sue had been aligned about
substantially slowing the staff growth rate and narrowing focus, but
recent comments make me wonder whether the most recent executive hires are
all on the same page about this.

MZMcBride

P.S. This piece about the office move from October 2007 is a fun read:
<http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/wiki-2497704.php>.