Having carefully read through some of the FDC rationales I thought
they were appropriately strategic and made it pretty obvious exactly
what those chapters that did not get what they were hoping for, need
to change in order to bid more successfully. I found them encouraging
and a good demonstration of why the FDC is a better process than the
100% WMF directed one that used to exist.

As a long past Chapters Association chairman, who is definitely out of
favour with WMF unelected big-wigs due to being controversial, I do
not get any impression that this is driven by a WMF-centric agenda.
Quite the opposite, most of the comments the FDC have made push us all
to be more volunteer centric and away from either pointless
centralization, empire-building or becoming scions of the Foundation.

Chapter boards who are responsible for less successful bids, may need
to consider this is a good time to not only take another bite at their
strategy, but empower themselves to reconsider how they grow their
organization rather than being led by growth alone. Too often we see
measure such as employee counts or bigger budgets getting
significantly more oxygen as being good things compared to volunteer*
support, volunteer leadership, better transparency or even the
reduction of programmes that fail to be volunteer centric or deliver
healthy volunteer engagement.

* For those chapters that make this an issue by counting volunteers in
exceedingly creative ways, by "volunteer" I mean "unpaid volunteers".

Fae