This is great, James. Given this and the comment Jimmy made on stage about
Wikipedia becoming slightly more trusted in news than the BBC... I would
say we are becoming one of the more trusted sources of serious
subject-matter news.

Way to go! Let me know where you end up submitting. Would love to read the
article.
/a

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 6:34 AM, James Heilman <jmh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey All
>
> I would like to share the following:
>
> “Wikipedia has been the most widely used single source of information about
> Ebola in the most affected countries, among people who searched for
> information through Bing. The use of Wikipedia was greater than that of
> either CNN, the World Health Organization, or the Center for Disease
> Control during the time periods examined. The countries in question
> include: Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea."
>
> I have been collaborating with a researcher from microsoft by the name of
> Elad Yom-Tom who has provided this interesting data. We are looking at
> submitting something to a peer reviewed journal soon. Journal will of
> course need to be Open Access, PLoS Medicine or Open BMJ interested?  :-)
>
> I think this is a real accomplishment for all the amazing individuals and
> organizations that have made Wikipedia what it is today including the many
> dedicated Wikipedians, the Wikimedia Foundation, our collaborators at
> Translators Without Borders, the Cochrane Collaboration, and the University
> of California San Francisco College of Medicine among others. I hope this
> is also encouragement for organizations such as the World Health
> Organisation among others that are not currently engaging with Wikipedia as
> a platform for knowledge sharing to do so.
>
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>
> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Anna Stillwell
Senior Learning and Org Dev Lead
Wikimedia Foundation
415.806.1536
*www.wikimediafoundation.org <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>*

"Man is unique not because he does science, and he is unique not because he
does art, but because science and art are equal expressions of his
marvelous plasticity of mind." - Jacob Bronowski
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Bronowski>