A similar line from the UK's Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/citydiary/11276717/Dashwood-Ladbrokes-on-the-inside-track-for-bookies-next-CEO.html

Quote:

Dashwood was confused to see a large banner ad flashing up on *the
Wikipedia homepage * <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page>last week. The
site was asking visitors for money, claiming that it “survives” on
donations averaging about $15.

“To protect our independence, we’ll never run ads,” said Wikipedia’s online
ad. “If everyone reading this right now gave $3, our fundraiser would be
done within an hour.”

But Wikipedia hardly needs to scrabble around for small change. Latest
accounts for the Wikimedia Foundation, which controls the online library,
report revenues of $52.8m in the year to June, up from $48.6m in 2013, with
cash and “cash equivalents” up $5.7m to $27.9m.

The foundation also spent more than $680,000 on office furniture – a $2,862
allowance for each of its 239 paid employees. Presumably, the “small
non-profit” organisation doesn’t shop at Ikea.

Anthony Cole <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Anthonyhcole>